–What Is the Marine Environment?
Oceans, covering over 70% of our planet (i.e. 139 million square miles, or 360 million square kilometers):
- Contain 97% of the earth’s water
- Marine ecosystems hold 80% of all life on the planet
Why Is the Marine Environment Important?
- Most of the earth’s oxygen is a product of photosynthesis in ocean organisms
- The fresh water on the earth’s surface comes from the oceans
- The ocean moderates the earth’s climate and affects the weather
What Benefits Does the Marine Environment Provide Humankind?
- Food (Every year, about 75 million tons of fish are caught.)
- Coastline protection