–Transferring liquid cargoes or fuels
- Don’t top off tanks at full loading rate. Go slowly.
- Don’t disconnect hoses before they have drained. Remember to vent them so they can drain.
Before starting, DO:
- Have a safety briefing. Discuss hazards and safety equipment.
- Have suitable absorbent material available on deck.
- Plug deck scuppers.
- Have portable emergency transfer pump ready.
- Close all sea valves and overboard valves.
- Establish communication between off-loading vessel and on-loading vessel. Arrange an emergency stop signal.
During pumping, DO:
- Check the sea regularly for signs of leaks.
- Ensure good communication between people on deck and people in cargo control room.
- Leave enough ullage (empty space) in cargo tanks for line drainage and thermal expansion.