–Marine Plastic Pollution Research and Control Act of 1987
This Act implements MARPOL 73/78 Annex V in the U.S.6 It applies to ship-generated garbage, and it aims to reduce the amount of garbage—both plastics and other persistent wastes—that ships dump into the oceans. It also prohibits all ships from dumping plastics into the sea.
The Act requires:
- Adequate waste reception facilities at U.S. ports
- Manned ships of certain sizes to display pollution prevention placards
- Certain ships to develop a waste management plan
- Certain manned ships to maintain waste for disposal on shore
- Prohibits non-plastic garbage to be dumped within 25 nautical miles of the coast if it floats, or 12 miles from the coast if it does not float.